Curly Gulch Ranch
Divide, MT | 2,724± Acres | $6,950,000
Recreation and Ranching
Located just along the Continental Divide in Divide, Montana, Curly Gulch Ranch is a big game hunter’s paradise and fisherman’s dream. This ranch is one of the most epic elk hunting properties to hit the market in years.
The ranch’s deep ravines and heavy timbered slopes provide perfect cover for Rocky Mountain Elk. The land provides sanctuary during the year and an annual calving ground for the resident herd. Additionally, the ranch shares an over three-mile long boundary with the National Forest.
The property houses four stocked trout ponds. Curly Creek, full of hungry brook trout, runs through the ranch. Just 7± miles away is the famed Big Hole River. The nearby Beaverhead, Ruby, Madison and Jefferson rivers put you in the middle of fly fishing country.
Over half the ranch is composed of timbered slopes that reach high up on the Highland Mountains and overlook the valley floor. Many coulees and ravines run out of the mountains and almost every one contains a spring or creek, accentuating its Montana alpine feel.
The owner’s residence is a beautiful 3 BR, 2 BA, 2,900-square-foot upper level home above a very nice horse barn. The manager’s home has 4 BR, 2 BA with 1,256 square feet on the main floor and a fully finished basement. Other buildings include a 4,800-square-foot shop and hay storage shed.
There are many acres of excellent native grasses for feed. Just below the timber lies a 100± acre pivot that produces an annual hay crop or can be left for excellent irrigated pasture. The rest of Curly Gulch consists of native range, excellent grass for livestock and wildlife.
At the base of the Highland Mountains, Curly Gulch Ranch has incredible views of the surrounding mountain ranges. The ranch is located almost directly on the Continental Divide, the watershed divide of North America that separates the drainages of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Additional Property Details
- Located 8 miles north of Divide, Montana which has a population of 220 people.
- The ranch is 20 miles from the airport in Butte, Montana and 96 miles from the airport in Bozeman, Montana both of which are full service commercial airports.
- A small K-8 school is located in Divide and Butte provides several elementary and junior high schools. Butte also provides 2 high schools, one public and one private.
Acreage and Capacity
- The ranch includes 2,724 +/- total deeded acres which include irrigated acres, dryland acres, and timbered acres. There is also a small BLM grazing permit.
- The current owners rate the carrying capacity of the ranch to be 125 cows on a year around basis, buying hay in the winter.
- Main home is 2,900 square feet and was constructed in 2006.
- Managers home is 2,512 square feet and was constructed in 2005.
- Heated shop is 4,800 square feet and was constructed in 2005.
- There are three domestic wells on the property as well as numerous stock water developments that include pipelines and stock tanks.
Elevation and Climate
- The ranch headquarters sit at an elevation of 5,980 feet.
- Annual property taxes are $8,659 approximately.
Price and Conditions
- The Curly Gulch Ranch is offered for sale at $6,950,000.
The area around Divide, MT is steeped in ranching, mining, frontier and Lewis and Clark history. Curly Gulch Ranch is located in Southwest Montana near two commercial airports that have multiple flights every day. Bozeman is Montana’s largest airport and is only an hour and 20 minutes from the property. Both Butte and Bozeman offer top notch medical facilities and other amenities, including fine dining and shopping.