Wisdom, MT | 130± Acres | $2,000,000
The Tucker Ranch sits astride Big Swamp Creek just up the Gibbonsville Road from Wisdom, MT. This 130 acres is a recreational paradise located in one of the most beautiful valleys in Montana. The Big Hole Valley, home of the 10,000 haystacks, is a very scenic mountain valley located between Dillon, MT and the Bitterroot Valley. This property boasts almost one mile of Big Swamp Creek, which is a major tributary to the Big Hole River. There is a spring fed pond which along with Big Swamp Creek offer excellent fishing. This property is everything Montana represents.
Swamp Creek, which is a major tributary to the famed Big Hole River runs through the property for over one mile. In addition, there is an approximate one acre pond that offers great fishing and the opportunity for riparian enhancement to even further upgrade the resource. Irrigation ditches also flow through the land creating habitat for many species of birds and waterfowl.
The over 3000 square foot 5 bedroom, 1 bathroom home was built in 1918 and would require some work. In addition to the beautiful historic barn, there is a large shop building and other buildings appurtenant to ranch operations.
Of the 130± acres, all are irrigated or sub-irrigated hay meadows that produce about two-three tons to the acre of wild hay annually.
The old farmhouse and outbuildings stand and offer a perfect opportunity for anyone looking to run a small agricultural operation. This property is everything Montana represents.
Fishing opportunities on the Tucker Ranch are excellent, both in Swamp Creek and the pond. The confluence of Swamp Creek and the Big Hole River is just off the property. This headwaters tributary is home to many native fish, including the threatened Arctic Grayling. If you are concerned about the future of water – it doesn’t get much better than this.
Hunting on the property can be excellent. Elk, deer, and moose frequent the ranch which is located in one of the best big game hunting areas (321) in the State of Montana.
Location and Potential
The Tucker Ranch represents all the best that Southwest Montana has to offer, from agriculture to recreation. This property is located in an exquisite setting in the headwaters of one of America’s last un-dammed rivers. Hunting and fishing opportunities are available both on the land and in the nearby mountain ranges and waterways. Download the full property brochure here.
Additional Property Details
- Located 5 miles west of Wisdom, Montana which has a population of 115 people and is home to a Forest Service Office.
- The property is 70 miles from the jet port in Dillon, Montana and 124 miles from the full service commercial airport in Missoula, Montana.
- Wisdom offers Kindergarten through 8th grade, with an average of 5-10 children enrolled.
Acreage and Capacity
- The ranch includes about 130 total acres of which all are irrigated or sub-irrigated.
- The current owners put up approximately two-three tons of native hay annually.
- Corrals, Equipment Barn, Hay Barn, Livestock Barn, Loafing Shed, Shed, Shop, Stock Pens, Tack Room
- A historic barn is located on the property.
Elevation and Climate
- The property sits at an elevation of approximately 6,250 feet.
- Annual average precipitation: 12”
- Annual average snowfall: 42”
- Annual property taxes are approximately $2,100.
Price and Conditions
- The Tucker Ranch is offered for sale at $2,000,000.
The Tucker Ranch is located on the Gibbonsville Road about 5 miles west of Wisdom, Montana and 65± miles to the north of Dillon, Montana which is a full service community featuring a Patagonia outlet store, numerous fly fishing shops, and the University of Montana Western which is a 4 year education facility.
The western town of Dillon offers excellent dining, two grocery stores, movie theater, a new state-of-the-art medical facility and a full-service FBO for private aircraft.