Established Ranch with River
Pennington Place presents a unique opportunity to own one of the most beautiful and historic Montana ranch properties on the famed Big Hole River. This property encompasses every aspect of what makes Montana so awe-inspiring: outdoor recreation, majestic mountain views, agriculture, wildlife and ample water. The site is one of the original crossings of the Big Hole River, which traverses through Pennington Place. Soak in incredible views of the four mountain ranges that surround the property: Ruby, Tobacco Root, Highland and Pioneer. Download the Pennington Place property brochure.
The Big Hole River runs through the property for 1/4 mile with land on both sides. Springs, including those that form the headwaters of Schoolhouse Slough, flow through the land, allowing opportunities for water development.
Adequately but modestly improved. The original 2 BR, 1 BA home is in good condition but is an excellent candidate for an add-on or remodel. Several outbuildings provide ample storage. Possible homesites throughout to build.
Of the 130± acres, about 43 are in flood irrigated hay meadows that produce about two tons to the acre annually. About 34 acres are in flood irrigated pasture for summer grazing. Remaining acreage is riparian land.
A small herd of cattle is currently run on the property. Pennington Place is an excellent small livestock operation and would lend itself perfectly to a horse operation if the prospective buyer wishes.
Fishing opportunities on Pennington Place are excellent and have the potential to be improved above and beyond the current status. The Big Hole River is one of the most prized blue ribbon fisheries in North America.
Pennington Place holds a large population of whitetail deer and possesses all the components to keep, grow and harvest large bucks. Waterfowl hunting can be found on the property. Excellent elk hunting exists in the nearby mountains.
Location and Potential
Pennington Place represents all the best that Southwest Montana has to offer, from agriculture to recreation. This property is located in one of the most beautiful settings on one of the most coveted rivers in the United States, the Big Hole River. A small herd of cattle is currently run here. Hunting and fishing opportunities are available both on the land and in the nearby mountain ranges and waterways. Download the full property brochure here.
Additional Property Details
- Located 6 miles southeast of Twin Bridges, Montana which has a population of 448 people.
- The ranch is 50 miles from the airport in Butte, Montana and 90 miles from the airport in Bozeman, Montana both of which are full service commercial airports.
- Twin Bridges is a Class C School which offers Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Acreage and Capacity
- The ranch includes 130 total acres which is made up of deeded acres, irrigated acres, sub irrigated acres and wooded riparian acres.
- The current owners lease the property to the neighbor who runs a few cattle during the year utilizing the pasture.
- Main home is 1,500 square feet and was constructed in 1958.
- A small pond was recently constructed near the home.
Elevation and Climate
- The ranch headquarters sit at an elevation of 4,700 feet.
- Annual precipitation: 11”
- Annual snowfall: 23”
- Annual property taxes are $1,550.
Price and Conditions
- Pennington Place is offered for sale at $2,470,000.
Pennington Place is located on the Big Hole River just over 6 miles southwest of Twin Bridges, Montana and 23± miles to the north of Dillon, Montana.
Twin Bridges is the home of Winston Rods. This quaint western town offers excellent dining, a grocery store, gasoline and other amenities close to Pennington Place. A short drive to the south will put you in Dillon with all the amenities you need, including a new state-of-the-art medical facility and a full-service FBO for private aircraft. The property is located approximately 100 miles from Bozeman, Montana which provides commercial air service.